Energy – a term with many associations. One of the energies in our body is called “prana”, which is the Sanskrit word for “original life force”. Prana is responsible for the body’s life, heat and maintenance. The other energy is the energy of our mind, consciousness. Consciousness is a constellation of attributes of the mind such as subjectivity, self-awareness, sentience, and the ability to perceive a relationship between oneself and one’s environment.
Getting into your own energy
Feeling your own body and mind energy is a prerequisite to use your energy in a mindful and focused way. There are many ways to improve your own energetic level, here are five basics:
- One element is healthy food – local, fresh, organic, avoiding convenience food and processed food. Food creates energy in your body. So, be conscious, what kind of food you eat, because it determines what kind of energy you can expect in your body. There is no way to have a high positive energy level by eating junk food. What goes around, comes around.
- Another element is breathing. There are different breathing techniques that help you to work with your own energy flow across your body. Breathing, observing your own inhaling and exhaling process, helps to stimulate the energy flow across all chakras. A healthy body is often described with flowing energy across all chakras.
- Additionally, watch your thoughts. Are they rather positive or negative? How do you approach your challenges? As opportunities to learn, to change and to grow or as big problems that make your life worse. Be aware that negative thoughts create negative energy, not only for you but also for the people surrounding you. And guess what – nobody benefits from your anger, including yourself. The opposite is the case, it takes even more energy to get out of a negative state of mind.
- Furthermore, surround yourself with people who have a positive energy, who believe in your vision, your strength, courage and passion. That doesn’t mean to surround yourself with yea-sayers. Not at all. People who believe in you, people with positive energy, can and will challenge your approaches if they want you to grow. Often, they bring out the best in you. It’s a great way to challenge your own approach, to think in a different way, to learn more about another perspective and to look at your approaches from a different view point. It’s a way to grow, to get better every day.
- Last but not least, keep your body in good shape. Only a strong and healthy body can support you to achieve your aspirations from an energetic view point. It’s the same with the mind, continuous training keeps both in good shape.
Now, let’s focus on the energy of our mind, on consciousness. Dr. David Hawkins worked on consciousness almost his entire professional life. His consciousness model distinguishes different levels of consciousness. It helps to develop awareness on your current state and it also provides ideas for your own development. Check out his consciousness model, and listen to this short video, explaining the different levels.
Focus your energies to create movement
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.”
Once you are in a state of great energy, and you achieved a certain balance between your life force prana and the energy of your mind, consciousness, it’s up to you to make a decision, in which direction you want to use our energy. What is it you want to accomplish? How does your vision look like? What is it you are passionate about? What excites you? We discussed thoughts about responsibility, play, choice in other blog posts a few weeks ago. All the three set an awareness foundation for today’s post on energy.
Be clear where you want to go, how your vision looks like and what the major milestones look like to get there. Think also about the different plateaus you may need to accomplish towards your vision. Accept the fact that iterations will happen and that they are necessary to learn and to grow. But you will never come back to the same situation again. It will always be a different situation, because your energy, your consciousness and the situational context will be different. Clarity about your vision often comes in a playful state of mind, or in nature and in situations where your mind is pretty calm – the perfect way to get great ideas and to feel deeply within yourself what it really is you want to accomplish.
Be focused, and be aware of distractions and how much time they consume. What is necessary for you to relax? What are joyful distractions you don’t want to miss? And what are energy sucker kind of distractions with no value, but lots of time consumption? Make your decisions, in a conscious way.
Focus on your vision and work towards the next milestone, the next plateau. Everything else is second priority.
Focus is what helps you to keep you on your journey.
Focus is the force that helps you to put all your energy in creating what you want to create, on building what you want to build.
“Energy and focus create movement”
–Peggy Dylan, Founder of Sundoor – School of Transpersonal Education